Taste of the Beach Recipe
Station Beach would like to share some recipe ideas for you to shake up your favourite dishes and try out our fantastic premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar and unique products from our store. Thank you to Chef Sarah Dunstan for this creation!
Balsamic Vinegar Pearls
- 100g Balsamic Vinegar (my favourite is Traditional Dark Balsamic, but you can use any one you like)
- 1.5 g Agar Agar
Oil Bath – 1 C Cold Oil – vegetable or canola (place in freezer for ~30 mins)
- Start by placing the oil in a tall glass in the freezer (I used a 500ml mason jar with a lid) for 30 mins. It is better if you use a tall glass so there is more time for the balsamic vinegar droplets to get cold and gel before reaching the bottom.
- Once the oil has been in the freezer for at least 30 mins, put the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan, dissolve the agar agar and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Take off the heat and skim to remove impurities.
- Wait a few minutes until the temperature drop to 50-55°C. If the liquid is too hot, the droplets may not cool down enough and will not gel completely before reaching the bottom of the glass resulting in malformed spheres.
- Fill a syringe or squeeze bottle with t hot balsamic agar agar solution and expel it drop by drop into the cold oil. The syringe needs to be high enough for the drops to sink when they get in contact with the oil but not too high or then drops may break into smaller drops creating “baby” spheres.
- Wait a few minutes, then carefully remove then form the oil bath using a slotted spoon and rinse then in water. You can keep them in a container in the fridge for later use.